Saturday August 09, 2014
Summertime and fresh corn go hand in hand. One of my favorite ways to cook corn is to grill it. It’s fast, easy and mess free. Sprinkling a bit of water from time to time helps the corn to steam on the grill, making the cooking time reduce because too long on the grill can char the corn more than desired.
I was invited to give a cooking demo at the Halal Food Festival (http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_26258923/halal-food-festival-2-0-comes-newpark-mall) this past August 9th in Newark, Ca. and this was the inspired ingredient that I chose to make a recipe around. I thought that since we are having nice hot summer days I would teach a satisfying salad. The other recipe I shared was a blueberry Myer lemon and mint refresher drink I like to make in the afternoon to give my day a boost of vitamins and hydration. These recipes can make for a nice lunch with friends or add some grilled chicken and you’ll sure to please the family with a new twist on dinner.
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons Myer lemon juice
1 sprig of mint leaves, torn, plus more for garnish
1 cup Coconut Water
1 cup ice
- Combine the honey and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Chill completely.
- In a drink shaker add the sprig of mint and press with wooden muddler to release the mint aromas
- Now add the blueberries and muddle them to release the juice.
- Add 1 oz of the honey simple syrup, lemon juice, coconut water and ice cubes.
- Close the lid of the drink shaker and shake the mixture vigorously for about 20-30 shakes until the mixture is frothy.
- Using the drink shakers built-in strainer, strain the drink into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with a few blueberries and a mint leaf.
For The Dressing:
¼ cup lime juice, about 2 limes
2 tsp. honey
2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup cilantro, chopped
5 ears corn, cooked over BBQ till slightly charred. Allow the corn to cool.
2 cups watermelon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cucumbers, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Handful fresh mint leaves, torn
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- To make the dressing, using a whisk and a medium bowl adding the lime juice, honey, garlic and spices. Whisk to combine. Now drizzle the olive oil in slowly, whisking as you go to emulsify the ingredients. Once it is all added in and the dressing looks creamy and shiny, stir in the chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- Take the cooled corn and cut the kernels from the cob.
- In a large bowl add the corn, watermelon, cucumbers, green onions, torn mint leaves, feta cheese and drizzle the dressing on top. Use as much dressing as you like and set the rest aside for another day.
- Now gently fold the salad together with a large spoon and Enjoy!